Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Leadership In Readership

Whoo boy, changes everywhere. After my last speaking gig - which are always fun while being nearly permanently exhausting - the variety of questions and personalities interesting...

One contractor would be in line, looking downward, asking me to sign a copy of his book but admitting, "Looks like this is going to be a slow year; I've got to cut back on Yellow Pages; I've got to get the phone to ringing; I've got to..." and it was all a bunch of painful, if not overwhelming, demands placed on himself by .

The NEXT guy in line would say, "Oh man, I am SO fired up! I can't wait to cut my YP budget down to size; but first to clobber the doomsdayers with that service postcard from the PowerPack and put some money in the bank! Plus, I'm starting on the Cluster Control campaign in May! Awesome!"

And there I'd be, meeting person after person at the same event, in the same business, facing the same opportunities, with MOSTLY the same need... and approaching them as differently as if they were alternate species.

“Hello, Sad Sack Contracting, how may I make your day somewhat miserable?”

Those with the ‘downtrodden, victimized, woe is me’ syndrome are usually like that in everything. Their success rate corresponds, as does their circle of friends. Further, the corporate “personality” likely borders on marginal bitterness, though others in the company might do their best to combat. Yet it’s hard to remain sweet living in a Pickle jar.

Sales and referrals probably parallel the mood, in mildly dirty environs – from trucks to office to warehouse. I have a hard time seeing slap-happy company picnics in this crowd. Overall, the owner feels a little “alone” in his misery, though sharing it subconsciously.

“Thanks for calling Contrarian Contracting, where our biggest differentiation is you!”

The more upbeat companies have an attitude of not just surviving, but thriving. New days bring new challenges, and even in trouble, an opportunity exists. A missed sale is a reason not to “sigh” but to ask “Why” and gather seeds for the next one. Their attitude is also magnetic.

I am thinking of two cases of very positive contractors, who are also friends… who are also competitors in the same town. They work off each other, sharing and mutually referring jobs they do not or cannot perform. They figure, “Hey, if I can’t get the job, he may as well.” They have streams of worthy job applicants, keeping the current staff not only thankful but feeling mildly on the button. A good thing. The upbeat never feel alone, seeking help, companionship, sharing, like-mindedness.

Can a contractor go from being one to the other? I know of several cases, but none where the contractor didn’t a) Admit he couldn’t do everything himself. b) Accept help from others, even if he initially disagreed. c) Was finally willing to let a+b mean he MUST share the credit for the success with others; take only the blame of failure.

In other words, a leader. And the one thing all leaders have in common, regardless of background or personality is followers.

No comments: