Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Fishing For Some Answers

Growing up, I fished a lot. Since my father died before I could remember, my uncle stepped in to be my surrogate. Plus, he needed someone to back in the trailer. And deal with the bait. And drive the boat. I was more than willing since I had some ‘learning’ to catch up on. 

Lots of days, the trip was valuable even if we caught nothing. This came in handy more often than I admit to other fishermen. We had a good time talking out in the sun and discussing, as he said, “which one of the 4,812 reasons the fish didn’t bite today.” As a career writer with Readers’ Digest,he had a knack for phrasing. 

The top reasons – for which the fisherman had no influence – were the usual, such as water temperature, presence of food and whether or not we were so blooming hot we had to move the boat or else we’d burst into flames.  

Yet the esoteric reasons for not catching fish were casting ability, bait presentation and lure retrieval. All this was the fisherman’s choice.  

We eventually arrived at an honest conclusion. Shockingly, it impacts your marketing and your business, every day, even among your customers and employees.
 
A NOT-SO PROFOUND OBSERVATION
When we didn’t catch fish, it was due to the uncontrollable reasons. When we did – you guessed it – it was skill, pure and simple.  

My Uncle Allen has long since passed away, but the lesson stuck. We’re all fishing, all the time. In the upside-down logic of human behavior, according to fishermen, we let the outcome determine who gets the blame for it. 

Could be we’re fishing for a better job, deeper love, more respect, fewer hardships, more money, less stress, more peace.  Okay, throw in rock-hard abs, whiter teeth and a magnetic personality. 

“The reason I lost my last job,” said a recent applicant, “was because of my dumb boss and his stupid ideas.”  (This same stupid guy is among the top franchisees of a company in the Fortune 1000.)

A televised weight-loss competitor said on the air, “It’s a fast-food conspiracy that keeps us fat. The food is too available, too fast and it smells good.” Pause for smacking plump lips. “Plus, the prices are pretty reasonable. Something’s wrong there.”  

What? To me, those are the very mission of the company. I was waiting for her to say ‘addictive,’ which all of us in business are still looking to achieve. As soon as I can figure out how to get people hooked on Hudson, Ink, I’ll let you know. I’m not above attempting hypnosis. 

So, what are you looking to ‘fix?’ And is that fix within your control… or outside of it? 

Do you believe your increase or decrease in leads is solely due to the weather? Partner with the weather by forcing early season adopters. Tempt late season procrastinators with closeouts. Increase your efficiency in peak seasons to do more with fewer people. There are ways around this.

Do you believe your town is “just not big enough” to grow your business? Then add up the cumulative sales of all your competitors. That’s your market. You just figure how hard you want to work to go get it. 

Do you feel marketing is a waste of time and effort, because your sales ‘really’ come from ‘word of mouth?’ Then name ONE company that’s successful without marketing. Wait – if they have a sign, a logo or can be found online, they’re marketing. 

Do you believe just having a website is ‘good enough,’ and if people want you, they’ll find you? Then consider that 64% of home service sales are now researched online first, before they ever call you. Also, your online reputation can turn hundreds of leads from EVER calling you in the first place. Your web marketing must enter the ‘new’ phase of human behavior. 

What’s your biggest marketing problem or challenge? Don’t hold back. We all have them, me included. (Contrary to my publicly manipulated reputation, I falter and stink up the marketing joint too. But don’t worry – you don’t pay for those, I DO. The information/advice you get here was gathered from a variety of blunders and experiments.)

So how do you end this sentence: “My biggest marketing challenge is…” Click to send it to us. We’re happy to lend guidance. That’s why we’re here.

Free advice: Keep fishing. But it’s impossible to catch anything with your bait still in the boat.

Happy Fishing,
Adams Hudson

No comments: